Saturday 15 February 2014

A Minions Ways to Lose: ep.4 When the Going Gets Though...

The though rolls get going!

So the Journeyman League reached week 2 and as such games would now be played in a 15pts format.
Not only is the Battlegroup for the Blindwater Congregation quite good (2 heavies, a warlock that wrecks enemy heavies on a regular basis) but it also only cost 11 points meaning...

That I get to add two Croak Hunters! (aka ''Fighting Ouaouaron or as my friend Antoine said: War-Ouaron)

Ribbit!!



These little guys look awesome: Advance Deployment, Pathfinder, Immunity Corrosion, Stealth, Vitriol, Gang Fighter(All), Poison, etc...
And to top it off, an amazing model!! My third one will probably be blue. (Yes I will have a third one at some point).

So My 15pts list looked like that:

-Barnabas
-Wrastler
-Ironback Spitter
-Croak Hunter
-Croak Hunter

With two croaks, I'm gearing my list toward assassination and objectives as they are nimble, hard to kill (stealth) and have the potential to seriously damage living things on a charge.

With these new additions there was only one thing left for me to do:

Time to go hunting.


Its time to unleash some serious losing!!

-1st Game - vs Jonathan ''Joe Swag'' B. -faction: Cryx (Classic Starter)

Sneaky Cryxians and their Arctic Camo!

They say that pain is the best teacher, well I hope I learned a lot because I sure suffered a lot in this one...
The scenario was ''control three flag-thingies, first to 7points wins'' so I sent my two War-Ouarons on the left side to flank, forget about the scenario, I'm coming straight to collect your head Deneghra!!
I soon discovered that it is worth sacrificing a Bonejack in order to put crippling grasp on the Wrastler as it makes it totally useless...And that if the Slayer manages to go in on the Ironback Spitter, I'm left with Barnabas to fend for himself. Joe might be a new player but he learned hell of a lot fast!

Barnabas casted his feat and took care of the Slayer himself (gotta love a caster who can go in and wreck heavy warjacks alone!!!) while the Croak Hunter that could make it charged a knockdowned Deneghra...4+4+4+5...Just enough to let her live with four life.(I think she still had Parasite to save her)
Thats when I ended my turn realising my opponent was at 5points to my 1point (earned because I happened to be touching the objective after wrecking the slayer and a Bonejack)...
One turn later, scenario victory for my opponent! I must congratulate him for doing so with his Battlegroup: Cryx's starts at 14pts and he had forgotten his Machine Wraith so he basically played this game with a week 1 battlegroup facing my week 2 battlegroup.

Defeat!

-2nd Game -vs Antoine B. -faction: Minions (Thornfall Alliance) 

Two more kills to Barnabas' kill tally...
I had never played against piggies...This game allowed me to see how bad it can get: Lord Carver BBQsauce has spells that completely negate Barnabas' Battlegroup: ''Batter Down the Hatches'' simply stops the feat and brings even a light beast to a Khador-level of armor and Mobility negates the swamps.
I managed to get the charge on his War Hog with my wrastler and barely damaged it, even worse: I couldn't even knock it down.
I ran a War-Ouaron in Carver's face to try and delay him while Barnabas and the Spitter cleaned the No Man's Land...It didn't quite work. Did kill some Bone Grinders with Vitriol.
Barnabas got a charge on the War Hog after it killed my Ironback Spitter and managed to slaughter it good...as well as killing a Gun Boar.
Beastless and exposed, I could only wait for Lord Carver to finish my Barnabas.


Which he did....But Barnabas being a good ol' Gator made his though check forcing my opponent to bring back a Gun Boar to finish Barnabas.
A really though game: Piggies' Battlegroup is extremely good against its Gators' counterpart'' and Antoine sure plays well too! This game made me discover that ''Warpath'' is an upkeed and does not expire after you use it: definitely will be more and more used in my next games!

-Defeat!

-3rd Game -vs Daniel ''The Best'' M. (Cryx)

Who had thought ''Immunity Corrosion'' would actually be really really useful?!?
Daniel is our League organizer, I think that 's the third one he runs because he likes the game so much.
Denegrah again...This time I played my Wrastler in a way to force his chickens to expose themselves if they wanted to cast ''crippling grasp'' (no way I'm losing a second heavy to this horrible spell!).
Daniel got distracted by my War-Ouarons and tried to get rid of them with spells...Like Jonathan before him, he discovered that ''immunity corrosion'' makes it more focus intensive when ''venom'' won't affect them.
In the meantime the Wrastler and the Ironback both got rid of two Bonejacks while Barnabas sniped the Machine Wraith.
Down to Bonejacks and Machine Wraith, Daniel still managed to come back in this game by having a Slayer charge a parasited Wrastler on Feat turn.
Barnabas and the Ironback looked at the Slayer and Denegrah, both in charge range and defenseless but unable to charge them because of this annoying feat.
I stocked fury and awaited the expected Slayer charge.
Slayer did charge, Barnabas transferred most of the damage to the Ironback and survived.
I had a plan: I could feat, cast warpath, trash the slayer with 4 attacks then get the extra 3" movement to get the Spitter inside Denegrah's stealth to make a fully boosted spit attack against her while she was knocked down.
I decided to go against the ''Warpath'' idea and just trash the warjack and cast ironflesh if I could. Turned out I rolled very poorly and barely managed to destroy the slayer with Barnabas while being furyless.
The Spitter tried to move into range but 4'' is so small...I was too far away, fired and...missed the deviation totally.
Denegrah activated, moved and Venomed Barnabas, he survived thanks to though, she venomed again...and that was it!

The correct play without any risks was to attack the Slayer with the Ironback Spitter so Barnabas could cast Iron Flesh and keep some fury to avoid assassination...but I wanted to add to Barnabas' kill tally AND try and kill Denegrah (an assassination attempt which would'nt even had killed her had I succeeded, damn she is resilient!!)

-Defeat!


Three defeats in a row?!
I can only blame myself as my Croak Hunters were quite good/useful and frustrated my opponents.
Well, next week is 25 points...And I just got a Posse of Gatormen...
Let's have more targets for Ironflesh while my opponents bring more soft targets for these sweet Warpath triggers.

Happy gaming!! Ribbit!

Daniel's ''Stealth Grey'' Cryxians ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment