Wednesday 11 April 2012

Airport ramblings of an old 40k gamer...

As I sit here waiting for my flight today I am swamped with thoughts of my 40k army that is under construction. If you read my previous little post you will know that due to a friend of mines renewed interest in the game I was sucked back into 40k. What astounds me most about this turn of events is that I am actually having fun painting up my Ultrasmurfs. Having realized that, I am left wondering why I ever stopped playing this game in the first place. Let us reflect on this...

Warhammer 40k is a high model count game, and with high model counts the cost is equally high. But, let's be honest, mini's are expensive. All mini games are expensive, the only difference is the number of little men you put down on the table. If you look at WarmaHordes the cost per model is not that different than 40k. That being said, why do people crap on the cost of 40k so much. I have to admit that I am guilty of that myself. But honestly speaking, is a dreadnought at 50 bucks really all that different from a warjack at $40? Or a character warjack and $50+? I am not trying to justify anything here, just stating some facts for comparisons sake. One could argue that since you need less models to play WarmaHordes that the overall costs of the game are lower. This would be true, except that everyone I know that plays those games has more than one army, myself included. On top of this, I already owned almost everyting you could buy for my multiple 40k armies. I had nothing left to buy, so cost can't be why I left the game right? I spend more now on the 6 different mini games I play than I ever did on 40k alone. Having realized this there are only two things left that I can think of that would turn me away from the game. One being the rules set, the other being the players.

I started playing in second ed, and I enjoyed 3rd and left in 4th ed. 4th just cleaned up some of 3rds mistakes and was very enjoyable as a rules set imho so I can't blame the rules for my departure. Codex creep is a bitch, but I have never been that concerned with how viable my army was. So long as I had fun with it and enjoyed the models. I guess I have always been more of a hobbyist than anything else. That being said, you would think my models would look better. lol

That brings us to the players... and its here I realized that I made my fatal error. I played a lot of 40k back in the day. It was the only game I played and I played every chance I got. I played anyone and everyone that would walk into the gaming store. I think that was my error. Most people who play wargames as much as I do tend to play with a hyper competitiveness that drives them to make army lists that crush their opponents. I play with a army list comprised of models I happen to have painted and that I think look cool. I am sure you can see where a problem might arise there? It wasn't the losing that bothered me... it was the complete lack of fun in playing people who didn't care about having fun. Winning wasn't everything for them, it was the only thing. When I walked away from 40k and went to other games I started subconsciously picking my opponents more carefully, avoiding any type of competitive play. I don't do tournaments, I don't do competitions of any type. I find people at the gaming store that I like and get along with. I play with them exclusively. I approach my wargaming like most people approach dating after a bad relationship. I look for someone I find interesting, I test our compatibility, and then I play a game with them. If I have fun, we have a second date. lol I don't blame people for wanting to win, and I don't blame people for playing the army of the month with a hyper competitive list. What I do blame people for is sucking the fun about the the hobby I love. I think there is a balance that people can strike here that some gamers are either unable or unwilling to do. In casual play, you can bring a couple lists to the table and pick the one that best suits the type of opponent you will be playing. If that's not feasible for you, you can just try your best to be social, have fun and make your opponents game enjoyable while you crush his army under your heel. :) I think back to the regulars I played with and there were a few who were very competitive and beat me soundly but I would play them again in a hearbeat.

Wargaming is a community activity and as such people have to behave as they would in any other community activity. They must be social, considerate, and most of all, endeavor to ensure that their opponent is having fun too. If we could all do this, our local gaming stores would be packed with players and we would all be happier.

Well, my plane is here and I have to go. Thanks for listening.

Llew

2 comments:

  1. For me it's the rules :). No matter how cool my opponents were, there's often something that bugs me with the 40k rules, and it's normal: they're full of frustrating little points. Also, when you try other game systems, the rules pale in comparison.

    Models kick ass but cost a fortune. And I think there IS a difference between a 50$ dreadnought and a 40$ warjack...at least, there was when warjacks were metal, now PIP is playing ''GW style''.

    -Guru

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the rules DO pale in comparison to other games. But, we must remember that they are simple for a reason. They are designed to try and keep the game going at a decent pace. They don't always succeed at this, but it's their intent all the same. That being said, I find the rules to 40k better than some games. Let's be honest Guru, there are both good and bad things in 5th ed.

      The pricing of most models doesn't really bother me all that much. Independent character pricing is ridiculous, but you can always proxy models for those if your group allows. $45 for a tactical squad I can swallow. My tolerance for the GW pricing scheme varies a lot depending on the kit we are looking at.

      Delete